Contact Us  FAQ   Login    

What kind of support is available to me?

We understand that discussing details and answering questions about sexual abuse or sexual misconduct can be very difficult. That is why we offer a special support program provided by a regulated health professional with expertise in these matters. Your investigator will explain the details.

Click here for a list of organizations that provide support services or have information about local community services.

Is there funding for therapy and counselling?

Yes. If you are a patient and file a complaint alleging you have experienced sexual misconduct or sexual abuse by a dentist, there is funding available for therapy or counselling.

What about confidentiality?

If you decide to complain, you do have to give us your name. As part of our complaints process, we send the dentist a copy of your complaint, which includes your name, for a response. You receive a copy of the dentist’s response too.

If the process continues to a hearing your name will not be included on the Notice of Hearing posted on our website. In addition, the ADA&C may seek a publication ban to protect your identity at this public hearing stage of the process, if you request.

Support for individuals who have experienced sexual misconduct or abuse

The ADA&C provides support to individuals with questions about the investigative process. This applies to those involved in a complaint or investigation, and those testifying at a discipline hearing.

If you make a complaint further support services will be available at no cost.  The service is private and confidential and is provided by a regulated health professional who is not an ADA&C staff member and is not involved in any ADA&C investigation.

For information about how to access this service, please contact:

Professional Conduct Department

402, 7609 109 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T6G 1C3

Funding for therapy and counselling for individuals who have experienced sexual abuse and sexual misconduct

ADA&C provides funding for therapy and counseling to patients that allege sexual misconduct or sexual abuse by a dentist.

You can apply for funding by filling out the request form and submitting it to the ADA&C.

Who is eligible for funding?

If it is alleged in a complaint that a patient has experienced sexual misconduct or sexual abuse by a dentist, the patient would be eligible for funding. Patients should submit an application as early as possible to receive full benefit of the funding.

Who can be the therapist?

There are only two restrictions about who can be a patient’s therapist:

  • They must not be a member of the patient’s family.
  • They must be in good standing with the regulatory college they are registered with that includes not having been found to have committed unprofessional conduct of a sexual nature or be found to be civilly or criminally liable for a similar act.

How much funding can an individual receive from the ADA&C?

The maximum amount accessible is the amount that the Alberta Dental Association and College (ADA&C) would pay for five years up to $7,000 of funding, from the day the person becomes eligible.

Funding ceases if a complaint has been dismissed by the Complaints Director or a Hearing Tribunal finds the regulated member not to have committed unprofessional conduct.

The ADA&C will be able to recover the costs associated with providing treatment or counselling from a regulated member found to have committed unprofessional conduct involving sexual misconduct or sexual abuse.