Applicants registering as a General Dentist must complete the requirements of the Alberta Dental Association and College and the National Dental Examining Board of Canada.
National Dental Examining Board of Canada
The National Dental Examining Board of Canada provides the examinations for the registration of all General Dentists in Canada. The Alberta Dental Association and College requires successful completion of this examination for registration in Alberta as a General Dentist. www.ndeb.ca
The General Dentist Registration Flowchart outlines the process to register as a General Dentist in Alberta.
Frequently Asked Questions about Registration (view)
Accredited General Dentistry Programs
The following are the accredited programs for General Dentists:
Australia – Australian Dental Council - Accredited general dentistry programs effective March 30, 2010.
Ireland – Irish Dental Council – Accredited general dentistry programs effective December 5, 2012.
New Zealand – Dental Council of New Zealand – Accredited general dentistry programs effective December 15, 2011.
United States – American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation
Non-Accredited General Dentistry Programs
- Completed application form for registration as a General Dentist; include payment for the application fee.
- Certified copy of birth certificate, citizenship card or proof of permanent residency status, or a certified copy of the authorization issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada which permits you to engage in the practice of dentistry in Canada.
A Vulnerable Sector Check and a Criminal Record Check (performed within the last 12 months). Applicants are responsible for all fees charged by the police to obtain these records.
- Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution related to dental education. Transcripts must list courses taken, grades obtained, and if applicable to that educational institution, that a degree or diploma has been awarded. Documents not in English or French must be accompanied by translations.
- Certified Copies of degrees of diplomas earned. Copies of degrees can be certified as a true copy or notarized.
- Copy of National Dental Examining Board of Canada Certificate.
- Certificates of Standing from each province where the applicant is/was registered is required. If the applicant is/was registered in the Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, the U.S.A. or internationally, a Letter of Good Standing from each jurisdiction in which the applicant is/was registered is required.
- An individual Consent for Release of Information form(s) is required to be completed and submitted for each jurisdiction in which the applicant is/was registered.
- Three (3) written letters of character reference from colleagues or friends but not family members or classmates. Letters must be signed, dated and contain contact information of the person writing the reference. These letters may be submitted by the applicant.
- If you are currently in practice and have been in practice for two years or more, verification of 60 continuing education hours over the last two-year period must be provided.
- One (1) current passport-sized photograph. (within the last 6 months)